Monday, October 21, 2019

Shatter City

Photo by Amazon


Shatter City
By Scott Westerfeld
Narrated by Therese Plummer

Once upon a time when I was still teaching seventh grade English, I picked up Uglies.  I Could Not Put It Down.  Like, there were two days of school in my honors class that I decided that we would all read because I wanted to read, and I wanted to read that book, and so we had silent reading days.  And then I read Pretties.  And then I read Specials.  I missed Extras, but I stopped reading mid Goblet of Fire, so maybe I just don't have the attention span to last through four books.

In this sequel to Westerfeld's Imposters, which is set more than ten years after the Uglies series, Cole is imprisoned by Frey's father, and her twin sister Rafi has run away.  Cole and Frey are saved by rebels, and then the real story begins.

Westerfeld is a masterful world-builder who gives the reader the impression he is describing a place he's actually been to several times, instead of a world he has personally created.  I know, I know, this is book, what, six in his world?  So he's been in it for a while.  But still, when buildings fall down, you feel it.

I was actually gifted this book by Scholastic, through Libro.fm.  I was so excited to read a Scott Westerfeld Book, I didn't realize that this was book two until about two hours in.  I found that I understood the entire story without having read the first, that there is enough backstory included that everything was clear.  I wonder if there was too much backstory and if it would be annoying if I had read the first novel.

Imposters is great for those who like sci-fi, intrigue, and just a great story.

No comments:

Post a Comment